Photograph © John Hardy
Grid reference: SS 7715 3915
Postcode: TA24 9SH
From Lynton, take the B3223 off the A39. From Minehead, take the A39 east then turn right on to the A396 at Dunster.
At Wheddon Cross turn right
on to the B3224 then continue on the B3223 to Simonsbath.
The mill, which dates from the early 19th century, was comprehensively restored by the Exmoor National Park Authority in 2002/3 thanks to Heritage Lottery Funding.
The mill was originally powered by a waterwheel but this was replaced in 1899/1900 by a Francis-type water turbine and this was subsequently replaced by a single cylinder 28hp, 320rpm Ruston Hornsby diesel engine.
The turbine now drives all the machinery, including the saw bench, whilst the diesel engine runs at times when the water level in the river is too low to extract water into the leat.
In 2010 the Authority decided that it could no longer use the mill, and it is now being cared for by a group of volunteers.
Opening times 2017
The sawmill is open to the public on the third
Monday of every month, throughout the year, from 10.00 to 16.00, when
volunteers will be there to show people around. (See
web site for dates).
Tours are free but donations towards the upkeep of
the mill are very welcome.
The volunteers are happy to open the mill for
visits on other occasions by arrangement. Please note that when river
levels are low it is not possible to operate the mill on full
National Mills Weekend opening times 2017
Saturday May 13th, 10.00 - 16.00 and Sunday, May
14th 10.00-16.00. (Also open on Heritage Day, Sunday 11th
September, 10.00 - 16.00.)
Tim Marriott on 01643 831008, or at the mill on
01643 831202 on opening days.