Photograph © Chris Partington
Mortimer's Cross Mill, Lucton
Grid reference: SO 426 637
OS sheet: 149
Postcode: HR6 9PE
Mortimer's Cross is on A4110, one mile S of Aymestrey. Mill is on N side
of B4362 to Ludlow, just E of road junction. Large car park.
The only workable water-powered corn mill in Herefordshire, it dates from c.1750. The external
breast-shot waterwheel and machinery were replaced a little over a hundred years later. A remarkably
complete mill, with three pairs of stones, and all its machinery and equipment. Milling for
demonstration only. Alongside once stood a paper mill. A footpath leads along the leat to a
weir on the river Lugg.
The mill has recently been closed
by English Heritage 'temporarily'
National Mills Weekend opening times
Chris Partington, tel. 01568 708820.