Photographs © Jim Woodward-Nutt
Higherford Mill, Barrowford
Grid reference: SD 863 403
OS sheet: 103
Postcode: BB9 6JH
From M65, junction 13, take A682 through Barrowford village; mill is on L where
the A 682 bends sharp right over the river towards Gisburn. Car Parking is above
the bridge, turn R into narrow entry off the A682 between the white Bridge Inn
and the stone malt kiln.
Originally a Georgian water-powered cotton spinning mill dating from 1824. In
1832, a beam engine was installed to assist the waterwheel, and to also drive early power
looms. After 1848, a north light weaving shed was built which may now be the earliest
in existence. The unusual double-decker launder and wheel pit with evidence of
the 1920s turbine are still in the mill (lower picture) The waterworks and mill
lodge are still in situ but have not been used for power since the 1960s. Now a creative
industries centre with craft, artist, glass, pottery, print, jewellery, textile
and engineering workshops. The HQ offices of The Heritage Trust for the North
West which owns the mill are on the top floor.
HTNW is a building preservation trust preserving and managing over 2 dozen
historic buildings, including 4 mills. it also runs nearby Park Hill Heritage
Centre with info shop and cafe, which is 400yd down-river, left of the weir for Barrowford's mediaeval Corn Mill which was sited in the park. The reduced height
weir, mill lodge, line of the water power leat and some later stone foundations
Opening times 2017
National Mills Weekend and other
advertised event weekends. HTNW offices and studio areas open 9am to 5pm on
Park Hill centre open daily including weekends.
National Mills Weekend opening times 2017
Saturday & Sunday, 12.00-17.00.
Tel HTNW 01282 877 686
Tel. Artists contact 07971 522997