Photograph © Jim Woodward-Nutt
The Lady Evelyn Waterwheel, Laxey
Grid reference: SC 433 846
OS sheet: 95
Postcode: IM4 7BB
In the village of Laxey where the B11 crosses the A2. Park near the Electric Railway Station or in the car park
across from the Laxey Valley Gardens. At the bridge over the valley, walk down the path to the Valley Gardens
from the junction of the main Laxey to Ramsey Road & Captains Hill.
In 1865 a 50.5 ft diameter waterwheel was built to pump water out of the Snaefell Mine. When the mine
closed in 1907 the waterwheel was sold and moved to Cornwall. In 2003 the wheel was returned to the island,
where it was reassembled in the Laxey Valley Gardens. The wheel is now owned and operated by the Laxey and
Opening times 2017
Can be viewed at any time from the gardens. Operates 09.00-18.00, April to October.
National Mills Weekend opening times 2017
Can be viewed at any time from the gardens. Operates 09.00-18.00.
Pete Geddes, tel. 01624 674702.